Thursday, May 10, 2007

Student Loans

Why do you think some of these culinary school students took out such large student loans? What is your feeling on student loans?
I think students in general take out large loans because they arent given the financial aid that they need to attend the college of their choice. Everyone wants to go to a good school and become successful. Eut college is a very large expense, an expense that most people cant afford. therefore loans are taken out for what they cannot pay for or didn't receive in financial aid.
I personally think student loans are a way to keep people in debt. Students just become adults, dont have any credit and arent too familiar with finance can become trapped when they take out loans. Many parents dont know much about loans either which doesn't help the students at all. With a country worth trillions of dollars, why is it that our children cant further their education without having to spending nearly $100,000 in tuition alone ?

Do you plan on taking out any student loans? If so - for approximately how much
Currenty I am in the process of taking out a student loan. I have $7,500 in a stafford loan given to me by my college. $3,500 of that loan is a subsidized stafford loan which doesn't gain any interest while im in school and i must begin to pay back 6 months after I graduate. The other $4,000 is an unsubsidized stafford loan which has an interest rate somewhere around 6%. I also have a balance of $9,704 which I was going to take out in a private loan but my uncle has decided to loan me the money and I can pay him back, interest free!

No comments: